Empty Elizabeth

In front of something, yet still behind...

Friday, January 20, 2006

Ch-Ch-Cha-Changes

I have always mostly liked my job. I like my hours. I like my coworkers. I like what I do. Those people that I don't really like work on first shift. And basically they all, even the ones I don't particularly like, are pretty nice.
The first change was a good one: we went from 1 in 3 weekends to 1 in 4, and then to 1 in 5. Even doing 1 in 3 wasn't so bad because it was only Saturday from 8-1:00 and every fifth one you worked was 8:30-5:00. I could handle that. It was even better with 1 in 5, though every 4th Saturday, you had to work long. That still wasn't very often.
Well, out of the blue, the woman that worked Saturday and Sunday (which was the reason for the sweet weekend schedule) quit. No reasons. No two week notice. Since then, our whole schedule was moved around to include Sunday.
Now, every other month, we have to work the entire weekend. That's 8-5 on Saturday and 8-5 on Sunday. That's quite a cramp from what we were used to.
It can only get better. Right?
One girl I work with is pregnant. She's due in February. This is wonderful. Except that fact that rumor has it her husband got a job in Florida. Soon, she will be gone.
There is another coworker who has been on FMLA since mid-December. Rumor on him is that if he doesn't come back by February 1st, he's not coming back at all.
These two people throw quite a big monkey wrench into the work environment here. Not only does it make our first shift have to work short and use pool employees (that get paid more per hour than a regular tech), it really makes the weekend schedule feel the pinch.

I can only hope that all goes well and nothing worse than our current situation will come to pass. If it does, I might have to make some changes of my own. Job changes, that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home